The word of the year has been unprecedented. We are experiencing profound economic changes and Mother Nature has been unwavering in her constant barrage of man versus the elements.
Hurricane Laura made landfall less than a month ago, and many evacuees still remain in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex seeking emergency lodging.
Red Cross continues to fulfill its commitment of being there as long as a community needs us. Red Cross DFW has remained a hub for many of the Hurricane Laura evacuees; while most of those impacted from the Beaumont area have returned home, not all of them have. There are also thousands of Louisiana evacuees still here and we are committed to helping them map out the next step in their recovery plan.
Below are a few highlights of the tremendous efforts of Red Cross to support these families throughout the state:
- More than two weeks after the storm, nearly 7,000 people are still staying in emergency shelter through Red Cross and community partners.
- Over 820 Red Cross virtual and in-person volunteers are assigned to the Hurricane Laura relief efforts.
- To date, the Red Cross in Texas has served more than 48,000 meals and snacks with partners in response to Hurricane Laura.
- Licensed professionals have supported those in need by providing more than 5,800 disaster health, mental health, spiritual care and disability consultations.
- The Red Cross in Texas has provided more than 25,820 emergency supplies such as comfort kits and cleanup supplies.
As you peel back the layers of those statistics you realize that there were infants and toddlers receiving the baby formula or diapers they needed, and those in our community with sensory needs received their sensory kits to aid in their ability to process the many changes going on around them. These are just a few of the comfort and care items that Laura evacuees have received. All of this while everyone maintains social distancing and wearing their PPE.
The Red Cross is grateful to be a participating organization in North Texas Giving Day; this day allows the generosity of our donors to be multiplied and help yield a greater impact on the communities that need our help and support whenever a disaster occurs. Click here to join us to make a difference for people affected by disasters big and small.