by Adriana Arbelaez, volunteer contributor, American Red Cross North Texas Region
Being an American Red Cross volunteer goes beyond a normal volunteer experience. With the Red Cross, your journey is never the same. Every day is a new opportunity to give the best version of yourself to those who need support during their darkest hours.
At the Red Cross, we offer a variety of opportunities to choose from based on your skills and your goals as a volunteer. Keep reading to learn more about the many opportunities there are to join this incredible team of volunteers in North Texas?
Disaster Response Volunteer
Are you one of those people who find the calm in the storm?
If so, our Disaster Services teams are waiting for you!
- Disaster Services volunteers provide food, shelter, comfort, and hope for families affected by major disasters such as fire, hurricanes, and tornadoes.
- Disaster Action Team members respond to home fires to assist each individual family with their unqiue needs.
- Disaster Health Services are licensed professional that provide disaster health and mental health services to those affected by disasters.
Do you have incredible organization and coordination skills?
You can let those skills shine by joining our Volunteer Services team!
- Volunteer Services volunteers assist with volunteer recruitment, placement, record keeping, and recognition.
- Community Volunteer Leaders represent the Red Cross at community events to share the Red Cross mission, services available, recruit volunteers and manage key local relationships.
Service to the Armed Forces Volunteer
Do you want to show your support for our U.S. Armed Forces?
We have plenty of ways for you to serve our military communities!
- Hospital Volunteers lend a hand to patients at Veterans Administration and military hospitals.
- Armed Forces Caseworkers ensure delivery of emergency communications for members of the military and their families at home and abroad.
International Services Volunteer
Have you heard about what we do internationally?
By engaging in our efforts internationally, you can make a difference around the world!
- International Tracing Services assist in the international search for persons living overseas, in war-torn countries or thought to be living in your community.
- Language Bank volunteers utilize their language skills to translate information in different languages.
Biomedical Services Volunteer
Do you want to help lifesaving blood reach patients in need?
Join our Biomedical Services team to help others donate and give the gift of life!
- Blood Donors regularly donate lifesaving blood for patients in need and allow blood to remain on hospital shelves ready in case of an emergency.
- Blood Drive Volunteers greet and register blood donors to provide a comfortable environment for clear instructions for donors.
- Drivers pick up donated blood units from a blood drive and deliver to the laboratory to be thoroughly tested and then sent to the hospitals.
These are just some of the many different ways you can make a difference by volunteering at the American Red Cross.
To learn more and join these incredible everyday heroes visit redcross.org/volunteer! Do not miss the opportunity to be part of a team who provides comfort, hope and compassion to people when they need it the most.