Updated Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 11:30 a.m.
This blog is intended to provide the latest information on resources available and how you can help. If you are in need of assistance please contact the American Red Cross at 866-505-4801.
Local Shelters (DFW)
In line with our fundamental principles of impartiality and neutrality, Red Cross supported shelters welcome any and everyone regardless of immigration or citizenship status.
Should you, or anyone you know, need shelter from Hurricane Harvey or Red Cross services, please call 211. Shelters provide showers, hot meals, snacks, water, sleeping areas, and mobile device charging stations.
SPCA is working with Dallas Animal Services to shelter pets. SPCA will collect pets as the evacuees are being registered into a shelter. Sisters in Christ Riding Group – Horse shelter locations in Central & North TX. Contact Melanie Strickland at 817-726-7069.
Red Cross Immediate Assistance Program
Thanks to our generous donors, the American Red Cross will be providing financial assistance to Texas households in 39* counties that were severely impacted by Harvey and need help taking care of emergency needs. Right now, we are in the initial phase of this effort. As of Sept. 27, we have provided $142 million in financial assistance to more than 365,000 households who needed immediate help.
This financial assistance is in addition to the other emergency relief efforts the Red Cross is providing in Texas, which includes sheltering, food and other critical immediate support; we have been on the ground in Texas since before Harvey made landfall, and will be to get those affected back on their feet. The Red Cross is a charity, not a government agency, and people do not need to be American citizens to receive our assistance.
Registration will remain open through October 10 at redcross.org/hhia.
Texas counties include: Aransas, Austin, Bastrop, Bee, Brazoria, Calhoun, Chambers, Colorado, DeWitt, Fayette, Fort Bend, Galveston, Goliad, Gonzalez, Hardin, Harris, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Karnes, Kleberg, Lavaca, Lee, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Newton, Nueces, Orange, Polk, Refugio, Sabine, San Jacinto, San Patricio, Tyler, Victoria, Walker, Waller and Wharton.
Red Cross Emergency App
Download the free Red Cross Emergency App, available for both iPhone and Andriod devices. This all-inclusive app lets you monitor more than 35 different severe weather and emergency alerts, to help keep you and your loved ones safe.
How to Help
Financial Donation: the quickest and easiest way to help
Text ‘HARVEY’ to 90999 to make a $10 donation
Call 1-800-RED CROSS
Online at redcross.org
Read more to learn about where your Harvey donations are going, and how the Red Cross uses financial donations.
- Potter’s House is currently accepting donations with plans to get them to people impacted by the hurricanes as quickly as possible. For more information, including receiving center hours of operation click here.
- Due to the incredible generosity of both the North Texas area and the nation as a whole, Trusted World has closed donations. We will continue to distribute resources. We want to thank all of you who donated during this time. Because of YOU, people affected by Hurricane Harvey will receive the supplies they need.
- Goodwill Fort Worth partnered with the City of Fort Worth and the Tarrant County Office of Emergency Management to be an official relief donation center. The response from the public was overwhelming and the immediate need for donations of these items has passed.
- Additional donation collection and processing centers can be found by dialing 3-1-1.
Recycle2Support makes donating easy!
Bring in unwanted items such as clothing and shoes, and they will PAY the American Red Cross a percentage for every pound collected. And, as a BONUS, for the first 10,000 pounds collected the funds will be doubled to the Red Cross to help the victims affected by the flood. MAKE A DIFFERENCE, clean out your closet, and GIVE to those in need.
Donation Drop Off Locations (upon drop off, let the attendant know you would like to benefit the American Red Cross for Hurricane Harvey.)
Little Elm: 2417 FM 423, Little Elm, TX 75068
Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat, 8am-7pm, Sun-10am-6pm
Denton: 1217 E University Drive, Denton, TX 76209
Hours of Operation: Mon-Sun-10am-6pm
- Texas Roadhouse will be donating 100% of their profits to the American Red Cross on Sept. 27 from 4 p.m. – 10 p.m. at more than 500 of its locations nationwide. All profits will go to help those affected by hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
- Monday, September 11 through the end of the month, Texas de Brazil will host a national percentage of sale campaign in 44 restaurant locations nationwide. Additionally, for every dessert sold, Texas de Brazil will donate $1 towards American Red Cross Disaster Relief.
- Gehan Homes will donate $250 for each home sold in September.
- The Container Store is partnering with the American Red Cross to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey. Through the month of September, 100% of cash donations made in-store and online will go directly to Hurricane Harvey relief. The Container Store made an initial donation of $25,000.
- Throughout the month of September, Kim’s Convenience Stores will be running a customer donation program at each of their 25 locations. Customers can choose to donate $1 or $5 to the American Red Cross at the register during check-out.
- Now through September 30th, all Zoe’s Kitchen locations will be accepting monetary donations at checkout for the American Red Cross. All Zoë’s Kitchens will match a portion of the donations. Guests who donate will receive $3 off their next purchase.
- Now through the end of the year, all 7-Eleven stores nationwide are collecting donations at registers for Hurricane Harvey relief.
- Donate a minimum of $25 to the Red Cross through American Airlines and you will receive 10 miles for each $1 donation.
- Kroger with NBC 5 and Telemundo 39: Donate at cash register coin boxes at 106 participating stores in North Texas and 100% of donations will go to the Red Cross to aid in Hurricane Harvey disaster relief.
Organizations accepting donations in-store on online
Ace Cash Express
THANK YOU to our generous donors who make it possible for the Red Cross to fulfill our mission of providing aid to those in need:
American Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Alliance Data, AT&T, Neiman Marcus, Toyota USA, Walmart, Exxon Mobil, Southland Conference, Advocare, Alcon/Novartis Foundation, Alliance Data, AMPEX Brands, Bell Helicopter, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas, BNSF Railway, Comerica, Federal Home Loan Bank Dallas, Flowserve, Fluor, Fujitsu, Jani-King International, JCPenney, Kubota North America, Legacy Texas Bank, Mr. Cooper (formerly Nationstar Mortgage), Nebraska Furniture Mart, LBJ Express and North Tarrant Express, Pioneer Natural Resources, Texas de Brazil, Texas Instruments, WFAA, Zoe’s Kitchen.