by Krystal Smith, American Red Cross Digital Communications Specialist
Happy Independence Day!! Check out our Top 5 Firework Safety Tips to ensure you and your family have a safe and fun holiday celebration.
1. Follow local, county and state laws regarding fireworks safety.
Each city has its own laws regarding fireworks. Check your local laws to avoid paying hefty fines or endangering others by lighting fireworks in unsafe areas.
2. Follow firework instructions and only light one at a time.
Legal fireworks have directions on the outside of the packaging. If there are no instructions, do NOT light the fireworks.
3. Keep children and pets away from fireworks.
Children and pets can be very curious. Keep fireworks, lighters and matches out of reach. When lighting fireworks, ensure neither pets nor children have access to the fireworks.
4. Put matches, sparklers and fireworks in water before disposing.
Even if fireworks appears to be out, place all used fireworks in a bucket of water before disposing to avoid unintentionally starting a fire.
5. Never aim fireworks at other people, property or yourself.
Be careful on where you light your fireworks. Avoid areas where the fireworks may accidentally launch toward a person or property.
Now you know our Top 5 tips to having a safe and fun holiday!
Happy 4th of July everyone!
Don’t forget to join the American Red Cross at a 4th of July Parade near you!
Matador: 10:30 am