By Krystal Smith, American Red Cross Intern
Ah, the joys of summer time! Whether watching a Texas Rangers game, riding rides at Six Flags, or playing golf at your favorite course; it seems all the best things to do over the summer happen outside. In Texas, this outdoor summer fun can quickly take a turn for the worse due to over exposure to the heat.
So how can we still enjoy our summer fun, but protect ourselves from the scorching heat? Following these quick tips can help you and your family stay cool this summer.
- Wear lightweight, loose, and light-colored clothing.
- Keep hydrated and drink more water than usual.
- Take frequent breaks from the sun in an air conditioned building.
- Ensure that your animals’ needs for water and shade are met.
- Check on elderly neighbors who may live alone.
- Leave children or pets in vehicle.
- Wait until you are thirsty to drink water.
- Drink excess alcohol or caffeine.
- Expose yourself to extreme temperature changes.
- Ignore signs of heat stress.
For more tips on how to survive the extreme heat and prepare for Mother Nature’s worst, download the free Red Cross Emergency App.