UPDATE: Red Cross Flood Recovery Response

This message from Anita Foster, Public Information Officer, American Red Cross:

Red Cross teams have been responding around the clock since devastating floodwaters forced hundreds from their homes nine days ago. Immediatley, Red Cross shelters were opened in Granbury and Weatherford, followed by additional services to help families with their first steps toward recovery.


In total, 11 residents stayed at the shelter in Granbury while 22 sought help at the shelter in Weatherford. Today, one Red Cross shelter remains open at the First Christian Church, 2109 W. Hwy 377, Granbury, Texas. There are currently no shelter residents, but as a proactive measure, the shelter will remain open until 9:00 a.m. Saturday.

Damage Assessment:

Red Cross Damage Assessment teams have determined that 109 residential structures in Hood County and 56 residential structures in Parker County sustained damage that left them with major damage or completely destroyed. In total, 165 families hCasework Hood Parker Floods 2016ave lost a home. 

Casework Services: 

A home is classified with major damage or destoryed with a water level at
18″ (or over the bottom electrical outlet) for a standard home, or water that touches the bottom of the floor of a mobile home. For famailies with that type of damage, th
ey are urged to meet with a Red Cross caseworker to receive financial assistance and help with referrals to other organizations such as Mission Granbury.

Meals, Snacks and Supplies: 

Red Cross teams have been fanned out across damage zones to ensure that families had daily meals, snacks, water and clean-up supplies. In total, the Red Cross has served 11,500 meals and snacks and given oClean Up Items Hood Parker Floods 2016ut 2,240 relief it
ems such as mops, gloves, bottles of bleach, sunscreen and squeegees.

Next Steps: 

Caseworkers will be available on Friday to meet families in person between 10 a.m.-5:00 p.m. at First Christian Church, 2109 W. Hwy 377 in Granbury. After that, casework services will still be available by calling 1-817-335-9137 to set up an appointment. Around 60% of families in Hood County with unlivable homes have met with a caseworker and received assistance. The Red Cross urges the other 40% of people with major damage to their homes, or with a destroyed home, to reach out to the Red Cross as soon as possible. Major damage or destroyed damage is classified as a water level at 18″ (or over the bottom electrical outlet) for a standard home, or water that touches the bottom of the floor of a mobile home. The Red Cross believes that financial assistance has been dispursed to all eligible families in Parker County; however, if someone has not been helped that qualifies, they should call 817-335-9137 to speak with a caseworker right away.

How to Help:

The best way to help the American Red Cross is through financial donations made at www.redcross.org/donate, texting REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10 or calling 1-800-RED-CROSS. Trained volunteers are the heartbeat of the American Red Cross. To become a volunteer, go to www.redcross.org to find your local Red Cross.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s